Sunday, September 7, 2008

Customer Development Engineering


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to guest lecture again in Steve Blank's entrepreneurship class at the Berkeley-Columbia executive MBA program. In addition to presenting the IMVU case, we tried for the first time to do an overview of a software engineering methodology that integrates practices from agile software development with Steve's method of Customer Development.

I've attempted to embed the relevant slides below. The basic idea is to extend agile, which excels in situations where the problem is known but the solution is unknown, into areas of even greater uncertainty, such as your typical startup. In a startup, both the problem and solution are unknown, and the key to success is building an integrated team that includes product development in the feedback loop with customers.



As always, we had a great discussion with the students, which is helping refine how we talk about this. As usual, I'm heavy on the theory and not on the specifics, so I thought I'd share some additional thoughts that came up in the course of the classroom discussion.

  1. Can this methodology be used for startups that are not exclusively about software? We talk about taking advantages of the incredible agility offered by modern web architecture for extremely rapid deployment, etc. What about a hardware business with some long-lead-time components?

    To be clear, I have never run a business with a hardware component, so I really can't say for sure. But I am confident that many of these ideas still apply. One major theory that has influenced the way I think about processes comes from Lean Manufacturing, where they use these same techniques to build cars. If you can build cars with it, I'm pretty sure you can use it to add agility and flexibility to any product development process.

  2. What's an example of a situation where "a line of working code" is not a valid unit of progress?

    This is incredibly common in startups, because you often build features that nobody wants. We had lots of these examples at IMVU, my favorite is the literally thousands of lines of code we wrote for IM interoperability. This code worked pretty well, was under extensive test coverage, worked as specified, and was generally a masterpiece of amazing programming (if I do say so myself). Unfortunately, positioning our product as an "IM add-on" was a complete mistake. Customers found it confusing and it turned out to be at odds with our fundamental value proposition (which really requires an independant IM network). So we had to completely throw that code away, including all of its beatiful tests and specs. Talk about waste.


  3. There were a lot of questions about outsourcing/offshoring and startups. It seems many startups these days are under a lot of pressure to outsource their development organization to save costs. I haven't had to work this model under those conditions, so I can't say anything definitive. I do have faith that, whatever situation you find yourself in, you can always find ways to increase the speed of iteration. I don't see any reason why having the team offshore is any more of a liability in this area than, say, having to do this work while selling through a channel (and hence, not having direct access to customers). Still, I'm interested in exploring this - some of the companies I work with as an advisor are tackling this problem as we speak.


  4. Another question that always comes up when talking about customer development, is whether VC's and other financial backers are embracing this way of building companies. Of course, my own personal experience has been pretty positive, so I think the answer is yes. Still, I thought I'd share this email that happened to arrive during class. Names have, of course, been changed to protect the innocent:


    Hope you're well; I thought I'd relay a recent experience and thank you.
    I've been talking to the folks at [a very good VC firm] about helping them with a new venture ... Anyway, a partner was probing me about what I knew about low-burn marketing tactics, and I mentioned a book I read called "Four Steps to the…"
    It made me a HUGE hit, with the partner explaining that they "don't ramp companies like they used to, and have very little interest in marketing folks that don't know how to build companies in this new way."

Anyway, thanks to Steve and all of his students - it was a fun and thought-provoking experience..

3 comments:

  1. Steve Blank was very impressed by this presentation and mentioned it when he spoke at TiE on Wed-Sep-19. It's a nice complement on the product engineering side to his customer development methodology.

    If you would like to talk about this at a Bootstrapper Breakfast ( http://www.bootstrapperbreakfast.com/ ) I think you would find a receptive audience.

    Warm Regards
    Sean Murphy www.skmurphy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'd be delighted to. Feel free to email me (startuplessonslearned-eric@sneakemail.com).

    ReplyDelete